I was born on the 20th of July. I traditionally take time off on the day to reflect on the past year and to plan for the coming one. This year, I took myself away for the weekend to celebrate me and to continue this tradition…up in the Eastern Highlands of Zimbabwe, in the Vumba. The views, the quietness – except for the lovely chirping birds and wind in the trees were incredible!
My birthday is my New Year. I don’t use the 1st of January as a New Year – but rather a halfway mark in my own year of birth; a time to make sure I am still on the path that I would have set for myself 6 months previously. The same questions I ask the clients I coach are the same ones I ask of myself during my birthday and reflection time. The honest answers I give to myself and the honest answers my clients give for their lives, continue to act as a guiding torch and tools toward my and their life’s mission. Here goes:
- If you were the Manager of your own life right now – which you are, whether you choose to believe it or not – how would you rate YOUR LIFE right now (use a rating scale of 1 to 10)?
- If your answer is not 10; what do we need to do right now to get you to YOUR 10?
- Let’s break it down by looking at all aspects of your life…
- Where should your finances, your relationships, your education, your career etc…be for you to be at a 10?
- How would we bridge the gap between where you are and where you want to be?
- What are the timelines you want to work with and which you know are feasible for you?
- What structures and systems do you need to put in place to make sure you get there in all areas of your life?
- If you were the Director of your own life – which you are, whether you choose to believe this or not; what are your vision, mission and values?
- These will be your guiding principles to get to your unique version of a 10
- Your Vision is where you want to be by a specified period
- Your Mission is how you’re going to get there
- Your Values are the foundational truths that you stand by and will help you navigate through life
With my own recent reflection, these last couple of days; what I can tell you is that my vision holds strong; my mission needed some tweaking and my values continue to provide a foundation that speaks to what I can give and what those around me have. It’s now your turn:
- What’s your truth?
- What are your answers to these questions?
- How can I help you? Let me know (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Happy birthday and Happy New Year for your next birth date! Barbs